Thứ Sáu, 23 tháng 9, 2016

Nest Cam Outdoor shows me the cat lurking outside my home

Nest Cam Outdoor
Nest Cam Outdoor
Image: lili sams/mashable

Seeing is safety.

I live in a relatively safe neighborhood, but some years ago, my home was burglarized. The thieves broke in through the back door. Since then, we’ve been more vigilant about locked doors and windows and installed a Nest Dropcam indoors to keep an eye on our house. It does a great job of showing my open-floor-plan kitchen, dining room and den, but is of no use for the space outside my home.

Nest Cam Outdoor takes everything that’s good about Nest Cam — easy setup, anywhere-in-the-world access and cloud-based footage recording - and adds in weatherproofing. It is an excellent addition to the Nest family of smart home devices.

What you get

For all the ways it's similar to Nest Cam, Nest Cam Outdoor looks nothing like its indoor predecessor. The $199 device is a 2.8-in.-by-3.5-in. candy-drop-shaped, all-white device. On the relatively flat front, behind protective glass, are the 1080p camera and an array of 8 night-vision LEDs. There are some tiny holes on the device for the speaker and microphone. Near that is the a single, flat power cord. It ends in a USB jack that plugs into a round AC/DC adapter. The jack side features a special cover that slides over the jack and locks onto the adapter. On the other side of the adapter runs the remaining 25 feet of power cable, which ends in a standard three-prong plug.

The Nest Cam Outdoor is a wired device (for power), but wireless for connectivity.

The Nest Cam Outdoor is a wired device (for power), but wireless for connectivity.

Image: LILI SAMS/MASHABLE

Nest Cam Outdoor comes with everything you need for installation. Notice the AC/DC converter and second length of power cable.

Nest Cam Outdoor comes with everything you need for installation. Notice the AC/DC converter and second length of power cable.

Image: LILI SAMS/MASHABLE

Nest Cam Outdoors ships with the same kind of precise and helpful installation instructions found in all other Nest smart home products, which is important since without visible attachment holes and hooks on the Nest Cam Outdoors, it’s not immediately obvious how you’re supposed to attach it to your home.

Nest makes ample use of magnets to secure and adjust the Nest Cam Outdoor. The device itself is magnetic and it ships with a magnetic base that’s curved to perfectly marry to the Nest Cam Outdoor’s smooth backside. That base also attaches magnetically to the thin metal plate that’s used to secure the security cam to your home.

While the device comes with all the hardware necessary to attach not only the plate but all the wiring to your home, I was more than a little concerned about screwing anything into the plastic siding of my house. 

While you screw a metal plate onto your home, much of Nest Cam Outdoor is held in place with powerful magnets.

While you screw a metal plate onto your home, much of Nest Cam Outdoor is held in place with powerful magnets.

Image: LILI SAMS/MASHABLE

That little blue circle is actually rubber that keeps the cam from sliding out of position.

That little blue circle is actually rubber that keeps the cam from sliding out of position.

Image: LILI SAMS/MASHABLE

However, before I even got to the installation, Nest recommended that I plug in the device while it was still indoors and connect it to my network. This was easy, especially because I already own a few Nest devices (two thermostats, Nest Protect and the aforementioned Nest Dropcam) and simply added this one to my account by scanning in, through my iPhone’s camera and the Nest app, the QR code on the Nest Cam Outdoor. Within a few minutes, I could see what the Nest Cam Outdoor can see through the Nest mobile app.

Nest Cam Outdoor's app-based set-up guides you every step of the way.

Nest Cam Outdoor's app-based set-up guides you every step of the way.

Image: nest

Nest smartly advises homeowners to try the Nest Cam Outdoors in a number of spots before the full installation. This entailed me climbing a ladder repeatedly while holding the web cam and my phone and trying not to die. My goal was to get all of my small, 40-foot-wide backyard and the steps leading up to my back door into the frame. Nest Cam Outdoor has a 130-degree field of view, so this turned out to be quite easy.

Eventually, I found a spot just above and to the left of my screen door that fit the bill. This had the added benefit of allowing me to hide a good portion of the power cable behind the aluminum edging that runs around the screen door. (To be honest, I was trying to install Nest Cam Outdoor without fully installing it since it’s a review unit I have to return when I’m done.)

Getting from set-up to live video takes just a few minutes.

Getting from set-up to live video takes just a few minutes.

Image: nest

Once I settled on the right spot, I attached the metal plate to my house, put the magnetic cradle on top of that and then attached the Nest Cam Outdoor. These are incredibly powerful magnets. Nothing felt like it was going to move or fall off my house. In my tests, the security camera never moved. I also attached the AC/DC converter to my house and rolled up the excess power wire with the included Velcro strap. I had a lot of extra wire.

A watchful eye

Nest Cam Outdoor’s camera offers a clear, stutter-free video and surprisingly good audio. As soon as I started monitoring the backyard through the Nest app, I was startled by how clearly I could hear the birds and crickets. There’s also a speaker, which is useful if you get an alert someone is at the door and you want to talk to them or scare them away. The audio output is loud and very clear. In addition, the night vision offered a relatively sharp view of my entire backyard. 

The spot I found for my Nest Cam Outdoor. Note that the wire is hidden behind the screen door framing.

The spot I found for my Nest Cam Outdoor. Note that the wire is hidden behind the screen door framing.

Image: lance ulanoff/mashable

If I have one criticism of Nest Cam Outdoor, it's that some of the hardware, like this AC/DC converter, lack subtlety.

If I have one criticism of Nest Cam Outdoor, it's that some of the hardware, like this AC/DC converter, lack subtlety.

Image: lance ulanoff/mashable

The real power of the Nest Cam Outdoor system, though, is Nest’s cloud-based video storage and retrieval system and the software interface that lets you access it.

Instead of saving any video locally, Nest stores it all — instantly and securely — in the cloud. It marries that with a sensitive motion-detection system that can send you notifications and email alerts whenever it detects motion or a person (you do get different alerts for both, though Nest Cam Outdoor sometimes identified a cat as a person).

My Nest Cam Outdoor finds its first person (me).

My Nest Cam Outdoor finds its first person (me).

Image: lance ulanoff/mashable

You can follow those alerts back to the app interface (or the effective Web-based interface), where you can scroll back through up to three hours of activity. Motion events are highlighted in the timeline with video thumbnails that you can click on and playback immediately. You can also simply scroll through the whole timeline and watch a sort of time-lapse playback of the day.

This video cache, though, is a rolling three hours. Everything older disappears, unless you pay $10 a month for Nest Aware (10-day history, $30 a month for 30-day video history access; everyone who buys a Nest Cam Outdoor gets a free 30-day Nest Aware trial). 

Nest Aware also adds a little more intelligence to your alerts, giving you the ability to set activity zones (you can only set this up through the Web Site Nest Home interface). Basically, this tells the system to pay special attention to certain areas. I chose a spot near my neighbor’s fence since I’m convinced he is secretly killing my Japanese Maple. Nest Aware also gives you the ability to save and share clips, though this too has to be done through the web site.

I used Nest Cam Out Door web interface to identify an activity area and export video. These are premium nest Cam Aware features.

I used Nest Cam Out Door web interface to identify an activity area and export video. These are premium nest Cam Aware features.

Image: Nest

You can also set up location-aware recording (without Nest Aware). Nest Cam Outdoor will turn off when everyone who is attached to the account (family members with the app and access to the same account) is at home.

The cat's meow

After a week of watching my back yard, I learned that my neighborhood is pretty quiet day and night. I detected my wife when she stepped outside (she liked to turn around and wave to Nest Cam Outdoor) and I got an alert when the gardeners arrived in the backyard. No one unexpected approached my back door. I did learn, though, that a neighborhood calico cat is a frequent late night visitor. 

According to Nest Cam Outdoor, this cat visits every night. I added the words to the video, by the way.

According to Nest Cam Outdoor, this cat visits every night. I added the words to the video, by the way.

Image: nest

There is nothing to stop someone from cutting the power cable and ripping the Nest Cam Outdoor off my home. Of course, whatever happened in the moments leading up to that theft would already be in Nest’s cloud and I would probably already be looking at the alert.

There are other, wire-free options like the new $199 Canary Flex. It’s a slightly larger, 6-inch device with a smaller field of view (116-degrees of HD video), but that extra girth supports a lithium ion battery, which means truly wire-free operation. I hope to try that out in the future.

With Nest Cam Outdoor, Nest delivers another excellent piece of the smart home puzzle. It’s easy to set up and install (though I don’t know if they adequately accounted for the dead space behind typical vinyl siding), and offers high-quality, real-time video assurance that your home — at least what it can see of it — is secure. I do wish I had had it that day the burglars came.

Yes, I worry some about the wire and would love to see a wireless option, but then I would also have to remember to charge it on a regular basis. That’s an extra task I do not need.

If you already own a Nest product, Nest Cam Outdoor is a great addition. It’s also an equally good place to start adding some intelligence and security to your home.

Nest Cam Outdoor

The Good

Easy setup, relatively easy installation Weatherproof Good camera with wide-field of view Strong night vision Easy-to-use app Useful notifications Peace of mind

The Bad

You’ll have to pay for more video archive access and some more intelligent features The power cord could be cut

The Bottom Line

Nest has been making excellent security cameras for years. Now there's finally an equally excellent one for the great outdoors.

Tags: , , , , , ,

0 Responses to “Nest Cam Outdoor shows me the cat lurking outside my home”

Đăng nhận xét

Subscribe

Donec sed odio dui. Duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio. Duis mollis

© 2013 Tech Trend 247. All rights reserved.
Designed by SpicyTricks