Thứ Hai, 12 tháng 9, 2016

I'm learning code with Apple Swift Playgrounds

Byte can be your Swift programming guide.
Byte can be your Swift programming guide.
Image: Apple

I’ve been in the tech publishing industry for 25 years, but that no more makes me a programmer than someone watching football on TV for a quarter of a century makes them a quarterback. 

Code is my Achilles’ heel. Its proximity to formulas makes me queasy. It’s not that I can’t understand any code. Back in high school, I was a whiz at geometry, but then stumbled badly in chemistry and trigonometry. Similarly, I spent a summer learning BASIC and coding an incredibly simple program. I’ve also tackled HTML, but when it came to JavaScript, I could do some, but almost entirely based on code I’d copied and modified from other sites.

Real programming and code baffles and terrifies me.

A few years ago, Apple introduced the Swift programming language as a sort of simple gateway drug for deeper, Xcode programming. It could be the foundation of real apps in the formal language.

The first time I saw some of the code up on screen at WWDC 2014, I felt like I sort of got it. I recognized some of the words and structure.

That’s why, ostensibly, Apple's new, free code-training app Swift Playgrounds should be for me and much more agile-minded students. During the recent iPhone 7 launch, Apple also introduced Everyone Can Code, an educational initiative designed to help get code training — specifically Swift code training — into schools and curriculums. Playgrounds is a key part of that program.

I suggest you start with The Basics.

I suggest you start with The Basics.

Image: Apple

On Tuesday, Apple drops Swift Playgrounds in the app store. I've been been immersing myself in this iPad-based code school for a week.

Now, as I stare at a Swift Playground lesson plan, I realize I was half right. Yes, there is something intrinsically knowable about Swift, but there’s still the code-theory leap that my mind struggles to make. 

This, of course, is probably just me. 

Inside the code

Swift Playgrounds is partially just that, a coding playground where you can repeatedly try out different commands, calls and code variations to propel entertaining animations over and over again. You are, in essence, the code-breaker and maker here.

And you’re doing it on the iPad, a platform that’s generally thought of as the place where you consume the result of code, not create it.

You can jump ahead in the lesson plan, but then be prepared to get lost.

You can jump ahead in the lesson plan, but then be prepared to get lost.

Image: Apple

As a programming language, Swift starts off pretty simply.

As a programming language, Swift starts off pretty simply.

Image: Apple

The basic lesson plan, called Fundamentals of Swift (there's also second one called, naturally, Beyond the Basics), is set up so there’s code on the left-hand side of the screen and an animated environment on the right that’s driven, almost in real time, by your code. Each lesson offers a challenge designed to teach you one rudimentary piece of Swift code. You can also try some of the challenges, which let you alter code and change the functionality of pre-built games and apps like Blink. Blink is a simple grid — almost a      Minesweeper-style game — where surrounding cubes influenced the kind color cube I could have in cube clusters. Apple plans on adding more of those challenges over time.

Fundamentals, though, eases you into code. It starts with command and the style in which Swift commands are written. At this level, the commands use English language words and follow a clear and consistent pattern. What’s more, the iPad’s virtual keyboard and QuickType suggestions immediately offer the nearest, best code option as soon as you start typing a letter. Typing in “t” will, for example, show “turnLeft ()” which is, naturally a turn left command. Typing “m” brings up “moveForward.” I can then click on any of the commands to add them.

Look at me, I can code.

Look at me, I can code.

Image: Apple

To my surprise and pleasure, I breezed through a series of command lessons. Each time driving the animated character, Byte (you can choose from among three animated oddballs), to move forward, toggle switches and collect gems in the right order or, at least, to the satisfaction of the app, which would cheer my progress.

Going deeper

Things got a bit trickier at Functions, which let me group some of these commands or tasks. It took me a while to figure out that I define the Function, with all its embedded commands, at the top of the programs. After that, I just call the Function below to execute the series, as many times as I wanted. In between the Functions, I used smaller commands, like “moveForward ()” to tie together these groupings, sort of like the cartilage that joins more complex bone.

To be honest, I was stumped by this simple fact for a good 30 minutes and Swift Playgrounds didn't quite help. One reason is that, while you can write code, compile (done by simply hitting “Run My Program”) and run it over and over again, watching as Byte runs and, sometimes, stumbles through, your poorly written commands, the app doesn't highlight the exact command that’s executing at the exact moment that Byte is performing an action. That’s something that would have been invaluable to me as I tried to debug my code.

Things progress quickly to more complex programming constructs like functions and loops.

Things progress quickly to more complex programming constructs like functions and loops.

Image: Apple

I can proudly say I created and named my own function to solve this code challenge.

I can proudly say I created and named my own function to solve this code challenge.

Image: Apple

To get around this, I added spaces between chunks of code so I could keep track of what Byte was doing in relation to the code. This helped me make it through Functions to Loops. I then somehow solved the first lesson in Loops in one try. Seriously, it took me about a minute.

Swift Playgrounds would let me go as far as I wanted with the code. The first Lesson goes all the way into Algorithms, which scare me.

However, if I can get through to Beyond the Basics, Playgrounds will even let me write code that accesses the iPad's sensors and camera. I'll also be able to import my own visual assets and program them, all of which is almost enough to make me want to push through my coding fears.

Whatever I choose to do, the whole system is self-guided and designed to let me jump around as much as I like. I can even accelerate the program playback, if I want (worth doing since Byte moves through tasks pretty slowly – a playback speed slider would be helpful here). The problem with doing that, though, is if you jump ahead, you get lost, as I did. Some things still made sense, while others did not. Learning to code requires patience, which is why the animated program playground is so smart. It turns learning to program into a series of puzzles and games. The desire to learn is driven by the desire to solve the puzzle.

A dawning realization

The more time I spent within Swift Playgrounds, the more I realized that it’s really written exactly for people like me, as well as children and people of all ages, who want to code.

I can’t say that I ever felt comfortable coding or that what I’ve learned rooted itself into some hidden cranny in my brain – a half-day away from it and I feel lost. However, that isn’t entirely true; I am starting to see the patterns. And now I remember something about my old HTML and JavaScript coding days.

At the start, they too left me confused and bereft, but through sheer repetition and a ton of trial and error, I eventually became an expert at HTML and comfortable with at least 60 percent of JavaScript.

Soon, you're nesting Patterns. Solve one of these challenges and you will fee like a coding champ.

Soon, you're nesting Patterns. Solve one of these challenges and you will fee like a coding champ.

Image: Apple

That’s what Swift Playgrounds asks of you. Do the code and do it again, with the carrot of an entertaining avatar plating out your code creations over and over again, looking sad when you fail and elated when you succeed.

I don’t know if this is the beginning of me, perhaps, coding a basic app and graduating to Xcode or not (probably not), but for anyone who wants to get started learning (or teaching) solid, baseline coding skills in a touch-based envrioment, Swift Playground is an excellent place to start.

Apple Swift Playgrounds

The Good

Pretty easy to follow Comprehensive Sometimes entertaining Free

The Bad

The Bottom Line

No matter your age or skill level, if you want to learn Swift programming, this is the free app for you.

Tags: , , , , ,

0 Responses to “I'm learning code with Apple Swift Playgrounds”

Đăng nhận xét

Subscribe

Donec sed odio dui. Duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio. Duis mollis

© 2013 Tech Trend 247. All rights reserved.
Designed by SpicyTricks